The Big Guns over at Contest University have announced the opening of registration for the 2010 session of Contest University, to again be held in conjunction with (but not affiliated with) the Dayton Hamvention.
Most of us LIDS never make it to Dayton and if we did, we'd be too intimidated to enroll in something as prestigious sounding as Contest University. So if you're like us, but still think education is the path to Big Gunnery, don't forget the LIDS own Contest Community College. It's a correspondence course, so you can save your money, and we grade on a curve (if your check clears, you pass).
Below are some of the topics for the 2010 session of the LIDS Contest Community College. Compare our curriculum to the Contest University one and see if ours doesn't meet more of your needs. Registration is open now.
CCC 2010 Topics:
• Radio Contesting Relaxed Ethics - Bigger scores, less work, mo' fun
• Logging - Accuracy = How to Up Your Rate
• Ergonomics and Station Efficiency - How to make room for your keyboard and your beer
• Very Basic Antenna Applications - The PL-259 goes where?
• Where to put your antennas -NOT where your XYL suggested
• VHF Contesting - Yes, Virginia, there's something besides repeaters up there
• DX Clusters and Contesting - how to hide your IP address from K1TTT
• RTTY Contesting - F-keying your way to victory (some material may duplicate CW Contesting)
• Mobile Contesting - As if cell phones weren't distracting enough
• CQWW and ARRL DX Contests - Four events you'll never win
• Advanced Antenna Applications - Fitting a Big Bertha into a suburban backyard
• Sprint Contesting - a whole weekend of insanity compressed into a few hours
• Advanced Sprint Contesting - caffeine is you friend
• QSO Parties - just because it's a "party" it doesn't mean you break out the hors d'oeuvres
• DXpedition Contesting - DX you'll never work from places you'll never be able to afford to go to
• Propagation - No, we STILL ain't got no sunspots
• WPX Contest - M/S means what now?
• CW Skimmer - I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that .
• Big Gun Station Economics - Ponzi schemes for beginners